The Route Map


View The Cross-country Route in a larger map

Friday, September 4, 2009

Day 4

West Carrollton, OH - Richmond, IN

After resting for a couple days, and making a few adjustments to the bike, had an easy spin over the flat, winding roads of western Ohio. Upon leaving civilization in West Carrollton, was mostly surrounded by cornfields, and, well, more cornfields. Only ended up being about 50 miles, and the most notable town I went through was Farmersville, the name of which pretty much gives away the primary form of employment in the town... but even more humorously, it seems the Farmersville cops are too busy eating donuts, tipping cows,
or investigating crop circles to actually patrol. So instead they stick a dummy in the patrol car.
I saw that, and started laughing immediately, so I rolled up to the car and took a picture of the "cop". Some guy in a truck across the street started laughing too and said, "So, what do you think of that?" I said, "Looks like your tax dollars are hard at work".

Continuing on, I didn't see too much, aside from a truck at a convenience store emblazoned with the logo of my old friend, PBR.
Eventually, I crossed the border into Richmond, IN, and rolled up to Chris Hardy's house, whom I met through warmshowers.org, the site for touring cyclists. Chris was kind enough to offer me a place to crash for the night at his awesome house. A few of his friends came over, and we all rode over to local sandwich place where I had some giant creation called "Jimmy's Big Idiot" or something like that - no joke. That and a Sam Adams totally hit the spot, but afterwards, Chris decided we ought to grab dessert at the local french restaurant/patisserie, and I sure wasn't going to argue. French food in the industrial city of Richmond, IL? Yup. I had a hazelnut cake of some sort that was excellent by any standard... nice to see a place like that doing well in such an unexpected location.After dessert, we cruised over to the local park which has a spring of some sort which people who don't fear Giardia apparently water from... but we were just there to watch the Beatles cover band. Not band, and after an hour or so, we called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment